2023 NWT POWER CORP JUNIOR and SENIOR CAGER
Basketball season has arrived and Basketball NWT in conjunction with school athletics is once again looking forward to organizing the annual Junior and Senior Cager tournaments. Tournament whips for each school venue are listed below.
The NWT Power Corp Senior Cager is being held on Feb 23-26, 2023 in Yellowknife featuring grade 15U and 19U boys and girls divisions. Local games may begin earlier, depending on the total number of teams in the division.
- Sr Cager: 4pm on Friday, February 10. *Late registrations will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances and, if they are granted this exception, teams will be charged an extra team fee of $100/team.
Attention traveling teams: You are expected to be in Yellowknife and ready to play on the Friday of your tournament weekend at 4pm. For scheduling purposes please advise the tournament whips as
to your expected date and time of arrival on your registration form.
Tournament Divisions, Location and Whips
- 15U and 19U Girls/Boys - St Pat's/Sir John Franklin - Rob Hart (email@example.com) and
- Sr Cager - $300/team if you are from Yellowknife and $150/team if you are from out of town. Cheques are payable to St. Patrick High School.
- These fees MUST BE PAID no later than your team(s) first game.
- Sr Cager completed registrations can be emailed to the tournament whip.
- If you do not register by the deadline, you may still be allowed into the tournament (if the tournament can accommodate a change in schedule) but there will be an additional charge of $100/team which will offset extra costs which are incurred by a switch.
Proof of Age
All coaches must carry with them, the proof of age of all of their players during tournament play. Teams that cannot prove the age of their players upon demand by the tournament whip will forfeit their games & may be removed from the tournament.
Athletes in the 15U division must be born in 2007 or later.
Athletes in the 19U division must be born in 2004 or later.
For those seeking an exemption, please see below.
Player Exemption – Special Cases
If you have a situation with special circumstances (i.e. an over-aged player) you need to bring it to the attention of the whips Feb 7, 2023 for Sr Cager. We will then discuss your specific request with the Cager organizing committee. The whip, will contact you with the committee’s decision before the registration deadline.
If your school requires billeting, please fill out the attached billeting request form and attach that to your registration form. Every year we try accommodating all requests from community schools that wish to stay in the venue where the event is being hosted. There is, however, a limited amount of rooms available. Hopefully, we will be able to meet your requests although there are no guarantees.
For Sr Cager, there will be a non-refundable $50 fee for each room used as well as a $300/room damage deposit. Please be aware that two separate cheques are required (one for the fee and one for the damage deposit). We will not deposit the damage deposit unless necessary.
Here’s to a GREAT hoops season!