2019 NWT POWER CORP JUNIOR and SENIOR CAGER
Basketball season has arrived and Basketball NWT in conjunction with school athletics is once again looking forward to organizing the annual Junior and Senior Cager tournaments. Tournament whips for each school venue are listed below.
The NWT Power Corp Junior Cager is being held on February 21-24, 2019 in Yellowknife featuring grade 6, 7 and 8 boys and girls divisions. Local games may begin earlier, depending on the total number of teams in the divisions.
The NWT Power Corp Senior Cager is being held on Feb 27-Mar 3, 2019 in Yellowknife featuring grade 15U and 19U boys and girls divisions. Local games may begin earlier, depending on the total number of teams in the division.
Attention traveling teams: for scheduling purposes please advise the tournament whips as
to your expected date and time of arrival on your registration form.
Tournament Divisions, Location and Whips
- Grade 6 Girls/Boys: Sir John Franklin – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grade 7 Girls: Ecole William McDonald – email@example.com
- Grade 7 Boys: Range Lake North – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grade 8 Girls/Boys: Weledeh/St Pat's – email@example.com
- Ecole Sir John Franklin High (15U and 19U) - Matt Craig - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ecole St. Patrick High School (15U and 19U) - Tobi Taylor-Dusome - email@example.com - Fax: (867) 873-5732 - Phone: (867) 873-4888
- Jr Cager - Gr 6 - $10/player and Gr 7/8 - $175/team
- Registration/Fee Payment Deadline: Jr Cager - Friday, February 8, 2019
- Registration/Fee Payment Deadline: Sr Cager - Friday, February 15, 2019
- These fees MUST BE PAID no later than the deadline outlined above if your school team(s) wish to participate in Cager.
- Jr Cager completed registrations should be done using the Google Form above and the roster emailed/faxed in to the tournament whip listed above.
- Jr Cager cheques are payable to St. Patrick High School.
- Sr Cager completed registrations can be emailed or faxed to Tobi Taylor-Dusome.
- Sr Cager cheques are payable to St. Patrick High School.
If your fees are not received by the deadline, your team may be unable to participate in this year’s Cager(s). The deadline will hopefully prevent last minute schedule changes.
Proof of Age
All coaches must carry with them, the proof of age of all of their players during tournament play. Teams that cannot prove the age of their players upon demand by the tournament whip will forfeit their games & may be removed from the tournament.
Athletes in the Grade 6 division MUST be in Grade 6 AND 12 & under as of December 31st, 2018.
Athletes in the Grade 7 division MUST be in Grade 7 AND 13 & under as of December 31st, 2018. Athletes in the Grade 8 division MUST be in Grade 8 AND 14 & under as of December 31st, 2018.
Athletes in the 15U division MUST be 15 & under as of December 31, 2018.
Athletes in the 19U division MUST be 19 & under as of December 31, 2018.
For those seeking an exemption, please see below.
Player Exemption(s) – Special Cases
If you have a situation with special circumstances (i.e. an over-aged player) you need to bring it to the attention of the whips, by February 5, 2019. We will then discuss your specific request with the Cager organizing committee. The whip, will contact you with the committee’s decision before the registration deadline.
In most cases the committee will allow underage players to move to a higher category. The committee rarely allows older players to play in a younger age category.
If your school requires billeting, please indicate that on your registration form. Every year we try accommodating all requests from community schools that wish to stay in the venue where the event is being hosted. Hopefully, we will be able to meet your requests although there are no guarantees.
For Sr Cager, there will be a non-refundable $25/night fee for each room used as well as a $300/room damage deposit. Please be aware that two separate cheques are required (one for the fee and one for the damage deposit). We will not deposit the damage deposit unless necessary. All billeting for Sr Cager will take place at St. Patrick High School.
Jr. Cager Dance
The Jr. Cager Dance will take place on February 23, 2019 from 7-9:30. It will be held at William McDonald school. Please contact Darren Wicks (firstname.lastname@example.org) if your players wish to attend the dance.
Here’s to a GREAT hoops season!